The original south third of the building was built in 1849 as the Racine City Mill. The construction is cream city brick and the style is urban agrarian. Among its first owners were William Lathrop and Henry Durand. In the later 1800's, it became the Emerson Linseed Oil Manufacturing Company and then the American Linseed Oil Manufacturing Company. It was purchased in 1903 by Mr. & Mrs. Dafydd Paynter Wigley, both from Wales, and became a thriving feed and grain business. Later, lawn and garden products, construction materials, and ready-mix concrete were added to the list of goods and services available for purchase.